Thursday, August 23, 2012

Quebec City

    The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Quebec City is Prague. The narrow streets winding through the city lined with small shops and restaurants were amazing. Every corner you took had more shops to explore, more menus to drool over or more patisseries to indulge in. There isn't a specific area I recommend to go...just get lost in the streets and explore! My favourite cities I've travelled to are always the ones where you can just tuck the map away and get lost while exploring. Where each street feels like you have discovered something new and there is no exact destination.

    That afternoon an American and Canadian Navy ship were docked for the weekend allowing us to marvel at the substancial ships. Since we had our Iphone with us, we looked up the names of the ships and were able to read about their history's like the origin and past battles. Very fascinating! Young sailors were on land for the weekend and each time I seen them wandering aimlessly through the city I couldn't help but think to myself how brave these young men and women really are.

    I yet again indulged in lunch that afternoon, this time in a poutine at a small restaurant called Chic Shack (located across the street from the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac). It was everything I could ever want in a poutine...crisp wedges of potato covered in rich gravy, cheese curds and sprinkled lightly with spices. It was served in a trendy ceramic bowl and I must say, I felt pretty snazzy while eating my poutine which was very different from past poutines I've had growing up (served in a cardboard bowl with gravy leaking through the bottom).

    Everything was wonderful about Quebec City and there really is so much to see. I would definitly move this city into my top list as well...actually I will just add 'Quebec' on the list or else my three slots will run out quickly. The people there were so friendly as well and each person we interacted with was accommodating and more than happy to help us with our french. The few days we had in Quebec were truly unique and were very different from the rest of Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment