Saturday, August 18, 2012

All the way to Turkey Point

  After sadly leaving Rainbow Falls Provincial Park we hit the road once again on the Trans Canada Highway passing the Mid-point mark finally on the T.C.H (as the road signs call it). We passed through Sault St. Marie to briefly stop for groceries and once again I would recommend more of a quick tour of the town and not a long stopover. When I write about not recommending a long stopover, I am not meaning it is not a nice town or worthy of visiting, rather I am suggesting where to possibly stay when you are on a timeline while travelling. I strongly believe every single town on this planet, no matter how big or small, can be fascinating in its own way. I felt I needed to make that clear before I went on so everyone knows I feel every town is valid to explore. Sadly though, usually when you travel you are on a time restriction and can only stop in so many places.
   We stayed in a Provincial Park called Chutes Falls, and it was a beautiful campsite with rustic campsites. I keep mentioning 'rustic' campsites because I think it is worth mentioning when many campsites across Canada are nothing more than a parking lot with motor homes. Chutes although, was a great campground with the most interesting swimming hole. The water was almost a golden black colour from the sediment being stirred up from the waterfall. It was a very odd feeling swimming in water where you could not see very far ahead of you and I was very thankful for my goggles. The odd time I could even see fish swimming in front of me suddenly, one as big as 8 lbs!
 Sudbury was our next stop on the road trip the next day, and I got to visit the Giant Nickel! For $5.00 you can drive up to the giant nickel and admire the grand size. It is definitely a great stop to make and so very Canadian.

    Sudbury is a mining town with dark stained brick houses and a newer shopping district up the hill. Here you will find the Bigbox stores like Walmart ect. to do some grocery shopping. We did not stay in Sudbury that evening, but instead camped down the road at 6 Mile Lake Provincial Park. It was a good campsite, we had to hike up a hill from our van to access our site and we even had two picnic tables. The beach was definitely not at the top of my list as it was a very small stretch of beach and it was crowded with screaming children. Although, I swam past the children out into the deep water and enjoyed myself while floating over the weeds as if I was flying above a forest. You can also find many different snail shells on the bottom, some even with occupants!
   My major highlight of this evening I must admit was the dinner my fiance made for us. Over the open fire, he stuffed bone-in pork chops with seasoned sausage then allowed it to slowly cook over the flames for 1.5 hours while basting it in sauce. It was so amazing...one of the best things I have eaten.
    About 4 hours down the road we drove to London, Ontario. One of my travelling partners went to visit her Grandmother so my fiance and I did some solo exploring. There were lots of old Mansions in the rural area that were quite beautiful. We went to an Italian Restaurant for lunch and enjoyed a good pizza and canolli before hitting the downtown core. There were some shops and cafes but overall I didn't find there was very much to do in London. Later that afternoon we found a park to go read and relax in which was a wonderful little break. The name of the park is slipping my mind, but it was a beautiful little park to take a walk in.
    We stayed at Turkey Point Provincial Park that evening (mainly because the name was so alluring!) and it was great! Basic site, great bathrooms and plenty of showers with a short drive to the beach in the actual town of Turkey Point. If you ever find yourself in Turkey Point go to the beach for a couple hours as it is a white sandy beach right on Lake Eerie. We had a great evening splashing in the water playing football and practicing our over-the-top catches. I couldn't believe how warm Lake Eerie was to swim in! A long day of travelling topped off by a nice long swim was a good day on the road I would say.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment