Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Beautiful Place Called British Columbia

I've travelled a bit now here and there, seeing ancient ruins, postcard beaches, and New York's posh streets, but I must say, my recent road trip has reminded me of something so important. My best friend and I made the 4 hour drive to 100 Mile House, British Columbia, which if you don't know, is a cute little town nestled in the interior region of British Columbia. The entire drive is beautiful starting with the expansive green fields of Abbotsford dotted with trees, cows and even lamas. Making your way to Hope, the scenery becomes more lush and dense, and you feel like you are truly driving through a rain forest.
Leaving the lush greenery of the lower mainland behind, you eventually drive through the canyon, over hills, dips and corners. The Fraser river looks beautiful from above, and at some points of the drive you are right at eye level with the furious rapids roaring over the car sized boulders. I find the orange coloured sandstone cliffs to be the most amazing sight to see, as the eroded layers reveal briefly just how old the land is.

Next are the narrow tunnels (remember to hold your breath), which take you through the sides of the mountains leading you eventually onward to Cache Creek, Clinton and finally to 100 Mile House. It is amazing to think how within 4 hours you can reach two such opposite landscapes and climates! British Columbia is such a beautiful province that offers us absolutely everything, from glacier covered mountains, world acclaimed vineyards, sandy beaches and hours of hiking. I am so proud to call British Columbia my home and although I want to travel the world, I know that I am indeed standing in one of the most beautiful places on earth. So, close your Sunquest travel book, close your Cancun desktop screen saver, and take a moment to look at your own paradise, it's right outside your window.

No comments:

Post a Comment